The end of my ranting.
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
I HATE GESTATIONAL DIABETES TESTING
I hate gestational diabetes testing. You first do a 1 hr test where you drink nasty pure sugar syrup and they take your blood. They made me do it at 18 weeks (since I have PCOS). Since my initial one hour test was 5 points too high they made me do the 3 hour... I mean FOUR hour test. It was four hours because it took them an entire hour to check me in and take the first of four blood draws (Yes, I did have an appointment for the test so the lab knew I was coming). You are not allowed to take the nasty glucose syrupy drink at home and then show up (like they do in my home state of IL). You have to take it there. You are not allowed to bring your children. I passed my first 3 hour fasting test. They made me do the one hour test again last week as they normally test at week 28. Again, it was a few points higher. After much research I have learned that unless your numbers are astronomical (meaning more than 200 and you need insulin) they will just have to lessen your carbs/sugar and exercise. So I started doing this. Apparently this is not good enough as the MW today told me today since I refused the 3 hour test (which makes me sick and my baby move around like it's on drugs) they will automatically diagnose me with GD. I told them I didn't want the diagnosis. It's fine to say it hasn't been ruled out but without an actual diagnosis made this is a false positive. She diverted my statement telling me that all people who refuse GD testing are diagnosed with it. Hardly true. She said it is true but I have a hard time believing that as my sister didn't take the tests and wasn't diagnosed. Come now. Perhaps I'm being too uncooperative but my gut says I'm fine and I'm perfectly willing to live a healthier diet for the next 2 1/2 months. So... instead of the test I have to see a nutritionalist, listen to an MD lecture me on the disease, and have another ultasound. I love how when she measured me today she said I was measuring big. Of course I was since she put the tape measure WAY lower than she did last month. Goodness. I understand the cautionary measures but I am in charge of my body and my child. I'm doing what feels right to me and that makes me feel good inside.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
You go, GIRL!
I'm sorry Suzie. That sucks that the MW was not understanding. How frustrating.
Well said SISTER!! Thats the first time I have ever heard of someone being automatically diagnosed because you refuse testing....
Number 3 is almost here.
Hi Suzie
congrats on having a girl!
you prob dont me remember at all
I am one of nathan's sisters Anna
Beths hubby
I am married and have a beautiful almost 4 month old baby girl named Evelynn..
ur girls are way cute..
oh that test was not fun but I passed with flying colors.
take care
Anna Floyd
Post a Comment