Last April my Grandma Davis died, four days after her birthday.
This morning my Grandpa Davis died, four days after his 97th birthday.
In the middle of the night I had a dream. I dreamed I was working really hard on a garden, in a place unknown to myself. There were storms raging and I was doing all I could to make that garden grow. Then my brother Jon came over and said, "I found a picture."
I remember there was someone or activity that was supposed to be the main focus of the picture, but all I could do was see my Grandma and Grandpa Davis sitting close together in the background on a bench. They looked younger. I said with adoration, "Aaahhhh.... Grandma and Grandpa Davis...."
Just then, at 3AM my mom called. I ran to my phone. Just missed her. I tried calling back a couple of times and when I got a hold of her she told me that Grandpa Davis had passed away just 10 minutes earlier.
I was immediately shocked that I had just dreamed of my Grandparents happily together. I feel as though God gave me a chance at a final good-bye. What a lovely moment.
Ode to Grandpa
Grandpa Davis was a funny guy
One day he lectured me about the sky
He was a doctor, a scientist and more
He always found ways for us to explore.
Grandpa loved conspiracy theories
His favorites were martians and Russian "Commies"
He was a charter member of the NRA
And he always, always was heard to say:
"I have concealed weapon permit and I'm not afraid to use it"
But to that end he would never abuse it.
Gramps was a teacher and loved the youth.
He said they always told the truth.
He said it was love that would keep them clean
He taught me to be patient is always the key.
Grandpa was a musician. He won many a prize.
He built instruments from hand. He was so very wise.
When I was a girl, he'd always want to hear
the tapes I would make of my piano "career"
He listened to them until the tapes wore down
and then ask me to make for him another round.
From where did I gain the patience I love
for my own children who were sent from above?
I think now it came from my dear little Gramps
(who always like to hike up his pants)
Now you're home with all those whom you lived back when:
Your wife, mom and dad, and your dear brother Glen.
Gramps I'm sad you've left us below.
But I promise to always "hitch my wagon to a star" (and never let go).
June 13, 1913- June 17, 2010
3 comments:
Suzie,
What a beautiful ode to your Grandpa. I am sure he is smiling right now. I can tell he will always live on in you through the things he has taught you. What wonderful memories you have of him. Try not to be too sad. Isn't it wonderful to know we will all be with our loved ones eternally?
Love, Sue
Thank you, Suzie. That was beautiful. I didn't think I would cry today until now.
Our Lord is amazing and that was truly a gift to think of them at that time. I'm sure he loved you very much and would be so touched by your sweet words for him. Love you girl!
K.
Post a Comment