I was pretty taken back by the discrimination we encountered by the school system when we first moved here. As a result I have had my eyes open to alternative education routes for my girls. Last week we started at a local Montessori school.
I was attracted to this method because of the various and individualized approach they take to education. The girls started at their new school a week ago today. It's been quite the rough transition- especially for Claire. She misses her old teacher, old class, etc. I did get them separated into different classes which has seemed to help some. They have such a close knit relationship that it's actually a little too co-dependent when they are in the same classroom.
I admit to having second thoughts quite often. The teaching style is VERY different from public school. There is no homework, there are no backpacks (they rarely bring anything home), they don't spend time doing letters and numbers. The teacher promises me that the tasks they do are all in preparation for academics and that most of what they do is academic, it just doesn't appear that way to the outsider. As a former teacher (high school) I'm somewhat leery, but I'm willing to give it a shot.
Here we go.... They do look cute in their little uniforms...

2 comments:
I say "Go you" for finding them a good fit and not sticking to public school "just because."
I've done a lot of research on schooling methods and I really loved the Montessori method (I actually use it in some ways with Owen in our homeschooling).
And they are darling in their uniforms :)
Suzie, for what it's worth, I taught pre-school for 15 years before I left the field. Although I did not teach Montessori, I am familiar with their methods as I had many classes in college about it. I also do know a few families that go to a Montessori school here. The teacher is right. They will learn and be up to par if not beyond their peers in public school. Just sit tight!
Post a Comment