REAL
One has blue eyes, the others brown
People stare and say,
"They aren't real siblings, are they now?"
I wince and look away.
What is real? What do I say to a person
Who doesn't really know
That love exists beyond blood and eyes
And genes that hide below?
Does the older one worry when the younger may fall
down the steps as she scoots right along?
Does she offer her hand and share kind, loving words
and apologize when she caused a wrong?
Does the blue eyed sneak into her brother's room
thinking, "He looks nothing like me!"
Or does she sing him a song and give him a kiss
as he gazes at her lovingly?
Does the only boy amongst all the girls in this house
treat them with kindness, always lending a hand?
Or does he stand in front of the TV screen
like only a brother can?
Does the only boy amongst all the girls in this house
treat them with kindness, always lending a hand?
Or does he stand in front of the TV screen
like only a brother can?
Does the second one give up all her hard earned sweets
to the little ones who ask without thought?
Does she take blame for the brother who's been scolded enough
and take punishments undeserving a lot?
Strangers don't do such kindness, not even a friend
but family responds this right way.
Don't tell me they're not real, that I'm not their mom,
Just smile, stare, and then walk away.
PS: Claire has been taught NOT to take blame for her brother anymore.... ;)
BY: ME
Based on my experience when visiting my hometown last summer:
One of Those
"My niece has
one of those," she says with a smile
As we both push
our shopping carts down the aisle.
"My battered
old purse?" is all I can think,
"No, the boy",
she says quickly and smiles with a wink.
My son? a THING?
oh what do I say
I'm searching for
words... what a long, long delay
"Yes, she's
got a boy, I'd say that he's two
I thought only
little girls came from China,
who knew?
Oh he's so cute
and lucky this one!
Look how he stares
at you sucking his thumb!"
That's not the
only finger I'd like to display,
but I know that
being kind is the only right way.
A Child, not a
thing
My son, not a ring
Think first
then rehearse
Smile
Wait awhile
Don't stare
That's not fair
Please be kind,
rewind
in my mind:
"What a
beautiful son.
YOU'RE the lucky
one."
"Yes, it's
true.
Oh, thank
you!"
3 comments:
Those are wonderful poems!! You are so talented!!
Thanks for putting up the poems. I enjoyed them enough to enshrine my praise for all of time. :)
Suzie!! I had no idea you were such a good poet!! I love the poems...and the kids.
Post a Comment